Sunday, January 09, 2005

tsunami update

During the Christmas season 2003, a Presbyterian minister mentor person of mine and I was discussing prophesy in the Psalms. He having studied this for years was telling me that the Psalms prophesy the years in the 2000's. For example, Psalm 101=2001, 102=2002 and so on. Skeptic that I am, never followed it up, never read it, even though I value his opinions. I remembered that conversation we had this morning while watching the news and read Psalm 104 on a whim. Clk on the header link.

I'm never wont to spew fire and brimstone and I firmly believe that I'm in charge of my own destiny. Sometimes though, you really have to wonder. See for yourself.

I often wonder of the hidden agendas of countries pledging aid. It seems when disaster strikes, $$ signs appear in the minds and fantasies of those with the ability to truly provide help. They seem to flock like vultures.

While I'm all for a business venture, I think it is in poor taste to use those in need for huge amounts of personal gain. I guess its opportunistic human nature. It should be a win-win deal all around, not as much as you can milk for years to come from disaster area governments. Why are people concentrating on Thailand when Indonesia is the hardest hit? If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.

Help if you feel the need to, not because of what you can gain.

On an aside, power to the bloggers in the disaster area who provide much needed links and information. See?... Blogging can be a good thing!

The death toll has crossed 159,261 mark and many more are missing after the tsunami swept across Indian Ocean following the 9.0 magnitude earthquake off Indonesia.

Sri Lanka: 30,718 people killed. Number of missing people is close to 5,000.

India: Total death toll put above 15,791 including 5,689, listed as missing, most of them presumed dead in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

In Indonesia home ministry put the number of dead to 107,039. Acute shortage of food, fuel.

In Thailand 5,305 may be dead. Nearly 2,400 bodies have been recovered so far. Hundreds of foreigners are feared dead in Thailand and hundreds are missing.

The tsunami killed people as far away as East Africa. The East Africa figure 309 includes Kenya, Seychelles, Somalia and Tanzania.

News update taken fron Sunday Jan 9th, Hindustan times.

No comments: