Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tsunami

It's interesting to note that the earliest pictures (clk on the headline) I've found are from a surfing forum.

I'm at a loss for words.

I know that natural disaster strikes but this seems to be the grandpappy of them all. I really don't know what to say, I watch the news in shock. I still can't wrap my mind around how much people died in so little time.

Sri Lanka on Wednesday listed more than 21,700 people dead, India about 7,000 — with thousands more missing. Thailand put its toll at more than 1,650. A total of more than 300 were killed in Malaysia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, the Maldives, Somalia, Tanzania and Kenya.

Wildlife enthusiasts in Sri Lanka noted their surprise in seeing no evidence of large-scale deaths of animals, suggesting they had safely made it to high ground. Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense...

Here's a site with help information: http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/
Another with contact numbers: http://www.tsunamivictims.org/

A Sri Lankan eyewitness account

Update on Death Toll
December 29, 5.05 pm IST :

Total : 65,000
Indonesia : 32,0000
Sri Lanka : 25,000
India : 10,000
Thailand : 1500
Malaysia: 60
Myanmar: 30
Maldives: 52
Somalia: 100
Tanzania: 10
Kenya: 1
Seychelles: 3
Bangladesh: 2

The UN Health Agency warns that outbreaks of diseases could double the deaths. I can't wait for the religous fanatics to declare the end of the world...

[Source : NDTV]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It can't be the end of the world, only Third World people are dead...it would only be the end of civilization if this happened off the coast of the USA <---sarcasm!

I saw latest figures earlier this evening at 80,000. I can only imagine the increased death toll as rescue / clean-up efforts continue.

Ana - Independence of Mind

Jon451 said...

I agree Ana ... with the sarcasm as well. I guess the bodies are now being found under the rubble, I heard an estimate yesterday of 200,000 dead when its all over. Its unbelievable...