Thursday, December 02, 2004

The Orange Sky

"Well ah doh min' being born in any livin' form, just as long as I can feel,
And with two eyes that see, I get down on my knees and thank God that I am real,
Just want to feel love, real love...In this life..."

That's how the second verse of "Real Love" begins...The Orange Sky, a quintet from Trinidad and Tobago. Ode to a Puncheon Rum induced teenage tabanca. kycKAss Music

Having been in a preferred band (no names) in the club scene in T&T for about 7-8 years I know where these guys came from. They were a "never-give-a-flying-fuck-pass-the-spliff" band. Until they got on stage.

Seeing Sky onstage back then was like fondling your first breast. You really didnt know what to do. Join the mosh pit, watch Nigel's guitar work, wonder why in God's name there were so many people on stage, laugh at the other bandmembers that were in awe, or just simply take in the music.

Nigel Rojas, lead singer, is an amazing guitarist. Someone who makes playing look so effortless, until you go home and try it. Thats the major difference between Orange Sky and all the rest. All the members are excellent musicians.

I remember going to soundcheck at **** 1 with Sky and all of them were sprawled on the ground passing a spliff. They offered and we refused, well some of us anyway. We bought 2 cases of Carib instead. We had never got along as well with any other band. Great ole talk. Peer Support. No, I won't take a pull, thanks. We both opened for The Outfield that night.

BC Pires commented in 1996 that the addition of Nigel as a songwriter for Jaundis-I, "has made Jaundis I's music something relevant to and part of Trinidad and Tobago". Nigel has patented his songwriting with the Sky. A far, far cry from this, proving US popvomitus has infiltrated the spending public. If you are a displaced Trini, check them out, they really are worth it.

The Orange Sky has already overpaid the required dues, with interest. They have recorded an international album with worldwide distribution by spring 2005. Congrats to vocalist/lead guitarist/song writer Nigel Rojas, rhythm guitarist Adam Murray, keyboardist Richard Hall, bass guitarist Nicholas Rojas and drummer Obasi Springer... from the heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BC boy...you know where I could get Voodoo in the Cuckoo? Also, I in Canada doing a reggae rock thing, check it and tell me what yuh think, www.myspace.com/staylefish

Easy

Anonymous said...

msg or comment the answer to me there if yuh get this, by the way